CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

WHATEVER WEDNESDAY - Shading with Watercolor Pencils

Remember that cute little puppy circle card I posted on 1/7/2009? Today I am posting details about how I colored that card with Stampin' Up markers AND watercolor pencils.

Here goes:


1. Stamp your image with a black Stazon inkpad. The puppy/boot stamp is from the "For Father" stamp set, by Stampin' Up.


2. Begin coloring the image with Stampin’ Up markers - I used Mellow Moss, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Close to Cocoa, and a little Sage Shadow. I used colors light enough so I could later go back in & play with them. An Aqua Painter and Watercolor Wonder Crayons could also be used instead of the markers.




3. Time for playing with watercolor pencils! Draw & just sorta scribble specific areas that you want to appear darker. You can add shadows, intensity, and dimension. Notice that part of the puppy's ears are darkened - doesn't it look just like it does when natural light hits it? Also notice the boot seams & wrinkles - I scribbled in some shading there. You can add highlights with a lighter shade or a different color. A little bit of white peeking out here & there is not a bad thing – it can actually help to make it more realistic looking. Just play with it & have fun.

4. If you want to, use a blender pen or Aqua Painter to smooth out the color or blend. I recommend using watercolor paper if you use an Aqua Painter.

Have fun!

Linda ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment